What are the Discussant’s Roles and Responsibilities?
Role of a Discussant: Discussants serve as commentators on the papers presented and provide substantive points pertaining to them.
Responsibilities of a Discussant: Discussants are responsible for providing professional and constructive criticism and raising issues for broader consideration during the session as a way to connect the papers presented. A discussant may draw upon his or her expertise or views in commenting on papers or presentations.
Before the session, discussants are expected to:
- Read the papers submitted for the session.
- Prepare analytical and/or critical commentaries on the significance and contribution of the papers.
During the session, discussants are expected to:
- Serve as commentators on the papers or substantive points pertaining to them.
- Provide comments on papers that will assist authors in moving their research forward.
- The discussant is expected to synthesize and summarize the studies presented focusing on the session topic, methodologies, and/or the impact of the research.
- The discussant is expected to raise questions and provide comments relevant to the presenters’ research.